Sunday, January 16, 2011

Khara (spicy) Pongal !!!!



This year for Shankranti (January 15 2011) I made til laddus like last year. I happened to be chatting with my best friend Ramya when we discussed about this dish called Pongal. I was also reminded about the spicy pongal that my aunty used to cook. I got the recipe from my friend and though I didn't have a lot of ingredients she had mentioned to add , it came out tasty. So basically, cooking is all about customizing!!!

You will need:

1 cup rice
1 cup moong dal (split green gram)
3 cups water
1 tsp ghee
1 tsp pepper powder( usually they use 1/2 tsp peppercorns)
2 small chopped green chillies
1 tsp chooped ginger
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
a few curry leaves( optional)
salt to taste.

Method:

Add the rice, moong dal and water and pressure cook it and keep aside.

In a pot heat 1 tsp ghee ( I substituted with olive oil). To this add the cumin seeds ,ginger , turmeric, peppercorns( or pepperpowder ) and curry leaves. Once the peppercorns start to splutter mix the cooked rice/dal mixture into the pot.Add salt to taste. Add 2 cups water and stir well. Heat it for anout 2 to 3 minutes.

Spicy Pongal is ready to be relished!!!!!

There is a sweet version of pongal which I will be trying next year on the auspicious day of Makara Shankranti!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment